Wednesday, January 19, 2011

wednesday printing, soup, salmon and cookies

Well I'm finally feeling back to normal. My nose is still a bit stuffy, but I'm better for the most part. I have the day off today, and I'm actually using it to make some art! Can you believe it? Finally! It feels so good. I cleaned my screens last night, and I'm going to Kinkos later to make some copies and enlargements to start some prints for Momentum OKC! I'm trying some new methods too including printing on wood. They better let me in this year. I'll post some in progress picks as soon as I have something to show. 


Kevin and I have been cooking together lately which is nice, but it makes for a lot of leftovers. My fridge is full of them, if anyone wants to stop by for a snack. Kevin made Black Bean Soup on Sunday night. The recipe makes a giant batch, so if you're not into leftovers feel free to cut it in half. Monday we had...you guessed it, leftovers. Last night I wanted to make this salmon recipe that I had seen on RealSimple.com but I didn't have some of the ingredients. So I improvised and came up with something totally different and so good. One of my best, I think. I call it Roasted Curry Salmon and Potatoes with Coconut Lime Sauce! Then we made our new favorite cookie recipe (Chocolate Drop Cookies from Meeg). We gave it a twist this time and changed it up with vanilla cake mix and chocolate chips. They're good, but the chocolate lover in me still loves the original recipe more! Here are all the recipes from the first half of my week. More to come this weekend. I am attempting to make focaccia. I've never made bread and I'm a little scared. Wish me luck! 


Black Bean Soup


Ingredients: 
corn tortilla strips
olive oil
1 small yellow onion
1 garlic clove
2 large cans black beans (not drained)
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 T. cornstarch
juice and zest of 1 lime
S&P
1 diced avocado
sour cream
fresh cilantro


Directions:
To make tortilla strips cut corn tortillas into long thin strips. Arrange on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake at 325 for 15-20 min. Stir halfway through. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Stir in beans, chili powder, cumin and broth. Simmer 10-15 min. Transfer 1/2 the soup to a blender or food processor. Puree with cornstarch until smooth. Return to pot and add lime juice and zest, S&P. Simmer 5 more min. Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, sour cream and tortilla strips.


Roasted Curry Salmon and Potatoes with Coconut Lime Sauce


Ingredients:
1 cup coconut milk
juice and zest of 1/2 a lime
1 t. cornstarch
4-6 medium size red potatoes (quartered)
olive oil
coarse salt
1 T. curry powder
2 salmon fillets
1/4 cup fresh cilantro


Directions:
Combine coconut milk and lime juice and zest in a small sauce pan over medium/low heat. Slowly bring to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch. Let simmer while you prepare the potatoes. Preheat oven to 400. Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and half the curry powder. Roast for 10 min. Meanwhile drizzle salmon with olive oil lightly and rub with remaining curry. Place on baking sheet with potatoes and return to oven for 12-15 min. Place the salmon and potatoes on plates and drizzle coconut lime sauce over everything (I went back for more sauce, it's so good!). Top with cilantro and enjoy!


Vanilla Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies


Ingredients: 
8 oz cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 box french vanilla cake mix
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 T. cocoa powder


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cream room temperature butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add egg. Mix until fully incorporated. Add cake mix and chocolate chips. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Coat your hands in the powdered sugar mixture (batter is extremely sticky). Roll batter into balls and arrange on greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 min. Let cool then sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love comments and feedback :)