Saturday, January 15, 2011

getting back to normal with pho and granola

The hubby and I ventured out to the Asian District in OKC to get some pho last night. I was feeling pretty awful, but I was convinced if I had a bowl of steaming rice noodles and the unknown concoction of Vietnamese ingredients that make up the miracle soup, I would feel better.
Heaven in a bowl 
I made mine extra spicy to clear my sinuses. I woke up this morning feeling about 50% (better than I've felt since Tuesday!). So we decided to go again for brunch today. :) I'm still not completely better, but I feel sooooo much better than I did. I went grocery shopping... and I can breathe through my nose! It IS a miracle. 


So now I just got done baking some granola bars. They aren't exactly healthy, but I'm working on making them that way. Here's my original not so healthy recipe...


Chocolate Chip Nut Granola Bars


Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups oats
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking soda
dash cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 t. vanilla
1/3 cup softened butter
1/3 cup honey


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Combine oats, flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nuts and chips. In a larger bowl with a hand mixer or with a stand mixer :) mix butter, honey and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add in oat mixture. If you don't have a stand mixer, mix in the oat mixture by hand. Press into a lightly greased square baking pan. Bake 18-20 min. Let cool at least 10 min before cutting into bars.


Notes:
Now here's the healthy version I came up with. I have not tried this yet. Let me know if you try it before I do. Substitute 1/2 cup vegetable oil for the butter and 1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit for the chocolate chips. 

3 comments:

  1. Check out the Steamy Kitchen. She has a good Pho recipe. We may give it a try one of these days! That or David is hiring an elderly lady from Pho79 to work in our kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. update: made the healthy version and they were good but completely crumbled. :( oh well... i'll have to find another recipe

    ReplyDelete

i love comments and feedback :)