Tuesday, February 1, 2011

snow day #1

So far, this snow day sucks! I got up early to help Kev dig his car out of the ginormous snow drifts. It took him forever to get to work. I was just sitting here twiddling my thumbs until I heard from him. As soon as he got to work they called a code yellow which means no one can leave until further notice. He is not only having to do his normal groups but pick up the nurse tech responsibilities for the people who couldn't make it there this morning. I'm telling you... I am meant to live in the tropics. 


Sorry to be a negative nancy, but this is not my idea of a good time. Enough venting. Deep breath. Time for some stress baking. What shall I make today? Any suggestions? 


I have soup to eat from last night too. Here's that recipe...


Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
Ingredients:
vegetable oil
1/2 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
2 celery ribs (thinly sliced)
4-6 shitake mushrooms (thinly sliced)
2 T. grated ginger
1 stalk minced lemongrass
2 t. red curry paste
1 quart vegetable broth
3 T. fish sauce
1 T. brown sugar
3 cans coconut milk
1/2 lb. peeled shrimp (chopped)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro


Directions:
Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onions, celery and mushrooms. Cook about 5 min until soft. Add ginger, lemongrass and curry paste. Cook one min until fragrant. Add broth, fish sauce and brown sugar. Simmer about 15 min. Add coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. You can go ahead and add the shrimp here and let them cook in the soup, but I like to saute them first (its up to you). Just make sure they are opaque throughout (about 5 min in the soup). Garnish with lime juice and cilantro. 


Be sure to check the doodles page (on the left side at the top now) for progress on my print. I'll post the finished product here when I'm done. After baking I'm going to work on it some more. I'll most likely be back with updates. So for all you others out there that are snowed in, if you're bored check back here later today. (I promise not to vent anymore). I already feel better just talking about baked goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love comments and feedback :)