Tuesday, February 22, 2011

canned clams?

Well, now I'm sick...again. I attempted to go to work yesterday and had to leave early. It feels like I'm coughing up whole lungs. It makes my entire body hurt. But I took some nyquil last night and slept for almost 12 hours (that's not to mention the few hours I got during the day yesterday)! I feel better, but not back to normal. So send some good healing vibes my way. I need them since I have 3 shows and new salon art coming up in the next month. 


But anyway, canned clams...really? I was skeptical. But Priscilla re-opened my eyes to using canned clams with Pioneer Woman's Linguini with Clam Sauce. She made this for us after a long day of skiing. I was surprised when Kevin asked me to make it when we got back. It was just as delicious as I remembered. But the next day I caught his sickly germs, so I was in need of some soup. I didn't want to go to the store, so I just used what I had at home (which just so happened to be another can of clams). I've always loved Clam Chowder, but Kev has always said that he didn't like it. Since it was all we had and he was after all sick and didn't have much of an appetite I used the "well you don't have to eat it if you don't want to." I had a feeling he would like it since he liked the clam sauce. He ate more than me and literally said it was the best soup I had ever made! Now for this I definitely think it would be worth it to get fresh clams, but the canned ones were easy and convenient. The original recipe came from Allrecipes.com, I only changed a little bit.


And last but not least, for those of you who I know will still not try clams...Tiramisu. The Italian dessert loved by all. We made this before the sickness came on, and weren't able to finish the leftovers before they got soggy. So I recommend making this for a dinner party of at least four people. This recipe is quick and doesn't make a giant batch, but it does dirty a lot of dishes, so make sure you have a dishwasher helper on hand. AND don't use a substitute for lady fingers! It will not be as good. This one is from epicurious, which I have been loving!


These are not the healthiest of recipes. I guess winter sicklies call for a little extra fat in their diets. Enjoy!


Pioneer Woman's Linguini with Clam Sauce
Ingredients
1 can clams (drained, but save the juice)
1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
handful chopped parsley
1 T. each butter and olive oil
1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup white wine
1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup heavy cream
juice of half a lemon
1/2 box of linguini (cooked, I used whole grain)
S&P to taste
grated parmesan


Directions
Cook pasta according to package. Meanwhile Saute clams and garlic in olive oil and half the butter over m/h heat about 3 min. Add wine and reduce down about 3-4 min. Reduce heat and add lemon juice and remaining butter. Stir until melted. Add cream, parsley and S&P. Stir until warmed through. Pour sauce over pasta. I let it sit for about 5 min, stirring occasionally to help it thicken up. Top with parmesan.
I remembered to take a picture when
it was almost gone
Clam Chowder
Ingredients
olive oil
2 garlic cloves (minced)
about a 1/4 of yellow onion (diced)
1 peeled and diced carrot
2 celery ribs (diced)
1 can clams (drained, save the juice)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
two small to medium sized peeled potatoes (diced)
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 cup heavy cream
pinches of S&P, sugar 
1 t. red wine vinegar (or any vinegar on hand)


Directions
In a soup pot saute garlic, onions, carrot and celery in olive oil only for a couple min. Add water, clam juice (I used what I saved from the linguini recipe too), parsley and potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer 15-20 min until potatoes are soft. Meanwhile melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for about 1 min. Pour in cream whisking constantly until smooth. Add to soup, reduce heat and stir in clams, S&P, sugar and vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar). Simmer 10 min, make sure no to boil. 
Tirimisu
Ingredients
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 (8 oz) container mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups espresso
2 T. Marsala wine (or Kalhua or if you have a good quality strong espresso you can eliminate)
18 lady fingers (found them at Homeland)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


Directions
Beat yolks and 1/2 cup sugar on medium for 2 min. Beat in cheese until just combined. In another bowl beat whites until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. In another bowl beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold cream into cheese mixture, then fold in whites. Mix espresso and Marsala if you're using it. Dip half the lady fingers in espresso and line the bottom of a small glass baking dish. Top with half the cheese mixture. Top with the other half lady fingers dipped in espresso, then with the rest of the cheese mixture. Chill 6 hours or overnight to set. Sprinkle with cocoa before serving.
So dangerous!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I'd try that tiramisu! I can't say the same about the clams, sorry :) Ready for RC Friday… I hope you get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments and feedback :)