Friday, October 14, 2011

FRINGE and some recipes

In my post about 12x12 I mentioned that I ran into an old friend and a new opportunity. Well here's the news... 




I am now a part of an amazing womens' art group called FRINGE! I went to school with Christie Hackler, who is co-creator of the group. I ran into her at 12x12 and she told me all about it. I submitted my portfolio and last week I attended their monthly meeting. I'm so excited about what is in store for this group of ladies. Everyone's work is so inspirational and I've loved reconnecting and meeting new artists. I'm also pretty excited that I have a space on the webpage with my bio and a few pieces and also a link to my portfolio website! I can't wait for our first event!


I guess this is kind of like two posts in one because now I have some recipes for you. It is getting cooler outside and that just makes me feel like baking all the time. So here are two great things to bake, one savory and one sweet. Enjoy!


Homemade Cornbread (NOT from a box!)
Ingredients
1 stick melted butter
1 1/2 cups cornmeal (yellow or white)
1 cup flour
6 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 cup buttermilk (can be substituted for plain milk, half &half, or I used soymilk)
3 eggs


Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Butter a square baking pan. Stir together dry ingredients. Whisk together butter, milk and eggs. Mix wet ingredients into dry, but do not over mix. Bake 20-25 min. Serve with butter and honey.


Better for you Brownies
Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)


Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a square baking pan with cooking spray. Mix together oil, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Gradually stir into egg mixture. Stir in nuts and chips if desired. Spread batter into pan and bake 20-25 min.


Notes
These are only "better for you" because there is no butter. Why did I make brownies without butter you ask? Because I was out of butter. But let me tell you, these are some of the best brownies I've ever had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love comments and feedback :)