Sunday, December 12, 2010

recipes galore and holiday outings

Busy busy busy, but in a good way. I have been baking, icing and just cooking up a storm. I got half my holiday jar mixes ready and wrapped. Pictures and recipes will be coming after they are sent and gifts have been opened. Megan and I made a Mickey Mouse cake for her nephew's birthday. It turned out so so great. We might have discovered a little business here. I had some leftover black icing, so I made a fudge swirl cake and used my purple flowers from class. It looked funny but it was pretty. I made homemade vanilla pudding for the filling. I will never eat a pudding cup again...so good. I had my first recipe club meeting this week too.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say anything about it since it is a super secret society, but I'm just too excited! I made Pumpkin Cookies and Goat Cheese Bites. I got a bunch of new recipes I'm ready to try from these great girls including Spicy Pretzels courtesy of Emily Buckingham. Here's that one...


Spicy Pretzels Ingredients: 1 bag pretzels, 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper, 1/2 tspn lemon pepper, dash garlic salt, 1/3 ranch dressing packet, 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Directions: Whisk together all ingredients except pretzels in a small bowl. Put pretzels into a large plastic bag and drizzle mixture in. Seal bag and shake to coat pretzels. Enjoy!


I am so so excited about recipe club! I just love it!

Mickey Mouse cake by Megan and Sarah
It looks like it should
be at a funeral

mmm goat cheese!
Well this weekend was really awesome to say the least. I guess the worse the work week is, the better the weekend has to be. Really, I hate my job this time of year. I'm so lucky they let me have the schedule I want, or I think I would lose my mind. Friday night Kevin and I went to pick out our Christmas tree and then we cooked dinner together. Maple Glazed Salmon (oldie but a goodie) and Balsamic Green Beans (a new one, delicious!). Then we decorated the tree, lit the lights and watched holiday movies...a perfect night. Saturday we slept in and then made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Walnut Waffles (my own creation). 


the freshest salmon in Oklahoma AVALON 
  
the green bean master


pre trimming...
see any furry presents?
more presents and the star!




















the blue lights are the best
Earlier this week I went with the little nieces to North Pole City to pick out an ornament each. They both ended up picking out nutcrackers. So go figure, today my mom took all the girls to The Nutcracker Ballet. It was fun, and the girls loved it. They both got sugar plum fairy wands and got to see Santa. It reminded me of going to the ballet when I was little. One year I was dancing around the living room on Christmas Eve being a sugar plum fairy, and I knocked the tree over. It was not funny at the time, but now we laugh about it. Well, I'm crossing my fingers that this positivity can last me into the week. I'll be back soon with more recipes. Have a good week all!


Regan and Shelby at the 
North Pole
little sugar plum fairies

2 comments:

  1. Too many things to comment on. First, ummmm Mickey Mouse cake....amazing. I need some SERIOUS lessons. Two, funeral cake is kinda bad ass. I'd eat it and enjoy my purple teeth. I think you may have a business on your hands! All the food of course looks and sounds amazing. I'm dying to eat fish....it has been so long. Tree is precious and I'm jealous of your light up star.....oh and I'm jealous you went to The Nutcracker. It's been years since I've been. Now for serious talk....

    Kerri and I were adamant that our gingerbread fiasco NEVER would have happened had you been there. You never would have let it get that far, you would't have allowed such failure. You are the Culinary Diva and this was recognized Friday. You didn't know but not only were us girls missing you something awful....the gingerbread wouldn't have hated your presence either. We miss you. When are you coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! You crack me up. The house looked good once all the icing and candy was on it. I DO have a wonderful gingerbread recipe though. I made cookies last year, but I'm sure it would be good for a house too. The trick is the icing, it has to be thick like glue. I am bummed you all aren't coming for Christmas, we could do some killer baking. My cake decorating class at hobby lobby taught me some skills.

    I'm thinking we'll probably come in late January (not sure exactly when). Kevin needs to talk to David to work out when is best so they can get the most snowboarding time in. As soon as I know, I will let you know. Miss you guys too! Tell G hi from Kev and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments and feedback :)